Friday, March 14, 2008

I'm back!

Hi again everyone! Well, it's been almost 2 years since I defied debt and I'm happy to report that I have managed to stay debt free! I spent an amazing year in Thailand traveling around and enjoying my new-found debt freedom. I never would have been able to see and do those things with so much appreciation if I hadn't been through the experience of working hard to get myself into a sound financial position. Even after getting massages and facials every week, traveling to tropical beaches and jungles, and having tons of new experiences I was able to save a couple thousand dollars. Living there was so cheap and the demand for English tutors was so high that I was able to have a high standard of living while saving. Unfortunately, the cost of readjusting to American life virtually wiped out my savings...but at least I never had to resort to paying for my expenses with a credit card.

I've been thinking a lot about money again, not because I don't have it but because I do (well at least a little bit). One thing I'm thankful for is that I was able to get out of debt when I did. I feel bad for those people who are struggling with credit card debt now. Just a few years ago the consumer had a lot more options. It seems as if the days of low interest rates and 0% APR balance transfers are gone. Even I (with a pristine credit rating) can't get my credit card to lower my interest rate. This is inconsequential to me because I don't carry a balance but to those who are trying to pay down debt this can have major consequences.

And remember the times when you were always receiving notice that banks like ING or HSBC were raising their savings account interest rates? I hadn't checked for a while and was shocked to see that they are barely paying around 3.10% and 12 month CD's are paying even less! It looks like saving your money in a savings account or a CD is going to end up costing you with current inflation rates at about 4%.

All of this has inspired me to update this blog again. Blogging is a fun way to keep myself on track and communicate with lots of other people who are working towards similar goals. I'll be looking for ways to save and writing about my thoughts on money in general. I look forward to reading comments and checking up on other blogs as well!

add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back indeed. What are your immediate plans?

Denise Mall said...

Welcome! Glad you are safe and happy!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! :)

Anonymous said...

I missed you, I am so glad you are blogging again!

mapgirl said...

Welcome back LPKitten! :-)

I saw your comment the other day and was totally gobsmacked. Nice to see you again!

Anonymous said...

welcome back!

Grace. said...

Nice to see you back in the financial arena, but I wish you'd wind up your Thai blog. You left us stranded in July, ruminating on Buddhist Bling. It seems like you really weren't having all that much of a good time in Thailand, but I do wonder why you left.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, welcome back - interested to see what's been cooking! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow-- welcome back! Your blog was one of the first I came across. So glad to see you updating again! I'm also curious about the rest of your stay in Thailand! What are you doing now?

lpkitten said...

thanks! glad to see you're all still at it.

i'm grace - i update the thailand blog, gave it a little wrap up and added some pictures! hope that gives it some closure

asset gatherer - right now i'm working as a teacher and waiting to go to grad school in the fall...i'm excited and nervous about going back to school! :-O

Anonymous said...

this is my first time here, but man it looks like you were/are loved!

Congrats on everything, and looking forward to reading more in the future :)