Friday, March 21, 2008

Putting Credit Card Offers to Good Use


Ever get sick of all those credit card offers you receive in the mail? They never seem to stop! Even when I was $30,000 in debt I was still receiving at least one new credit card offer a week. I couldn't imagine why they thought I needed MORE debt!

Well, today as I was throwing another offer into the recycle bin, I had an idea. Wouldn't it be funny if I collected all the credit card offers I receive and made recycled paper out of them? Wouldn't it be even funnier if I took that recycled paper, sold it, and then donated some of that money towards other people who are struggling with debt? It'd almost be like the credit card companies themselves would be paying for people to get out of debt. Ha! You wouldn't want them to be paying all that money to print and mail those offers for nothing, would you?

I decided to look up how to make recycled paper and it didn't look too difficult. Here is a list of items needed to make paper from MakeStuff:

  • a food processor or an old blender
  • an electric iron
  • an old wire hanger
  • an old pair of panty hose
  • newspaper or other paper, torn into 2-inch squares
  • white glue
  • water
  • an insect screen or strainer (optional)
  • food coloring (optional)
  • a big sink or tub filled with 4 inches of water

The only thing I don't have is a food processor/blender and since I'm not allowed to buy anything new, I think I'll post to Freecycle to see if I have any luck with my project. If I can find it, I won't have to put out anything but my time and it should be a fun project! :)


add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's more fun to just send the envelopes back empty, so they get to pay postage for nothing.

PG said...

How about just opting out of receiving this crap. It was one of the best decisions in my life:)

Anonymous said...

I shred all of my junk mail and put it in the compost. It's so very satisfying!

lpkitten said...

#2 - ohhhh you must have a very large compost pile then :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of greendimes.com for this! :)