Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I won, I won!


Before I started blogging I had this other little obsession that I thought would help me get out of debt quick. I have a confession to make; I was a SWEEPER. Sweeper as in sweepstakes enterer. You would not believe the inordinate amount of time I spent searching for sweepstakes and entering them. I had a whole system going. I had software that swiftly entered in all of my contact info, spreadsheets of all the sweeps I was entering. I was Sweeps Crazy. I hoped and hoped I would just win a car or some grand prize cash jackpot and my debt woes would be over. I entered sweeps while watching TV, while talking on the phone and basically any free moment I had. Until one day, my spreadsheet file got corrupt and I was devastated at the loss of all that time and effort I had put into it. I mourn the loss of my spreadsheet.

So for all my blood, sweat, and tears of entering sweepstakes the fruit of my labor was basically a $1.00 cash prize from Webstakes and an XXL t-shirt from Sirius radio.

Until today...

I got a package in the mail today and was positively perplexed because I hadn't ordered anything recently. I opened it and there it was. The 2004 Nascar Nextel Cup Series i736 cell phone. I had totally forgotten that I had won this on an instant win sweepstakes I had entered months ago. Now, I am not a Nascar fan, nor do I need a new cell phone, but I can try to sell it on ebay and get at least (hopefully) $100 for it.

This will definitely not get me out of debt but it makes me feel like I at least got something worthwile out of my sweeping days.

add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

7 comments:

Leanne said...

That is awesome! Good for you! And hey, anything you get on eBay is better than nothing! I had entered a local radio stations loyal listener type club a couple years back and don't listen to the station much anymore. But a couple weeks ago my brother called me to say a friend of his had heard my name on the station and I only had a certain amount of time left to call in. Frantically I called information to get the stations number and lo and behold I called back in plenty of time and won $1060!!! I about fell over with the excitement! Now I konw I will have to pay taxes on it, but who cares. :) Congratulations to you! Might want to keep entering those sweepstakes, never know when Ed McMahon will show up on your door with a BIG check!

Bailey said...

That is awesome. Congrats.

I didn't even know about SWEEPERS, interesting!

Now you can join me in my little secert passion - E-Bay. About a year ago, I got into selling stuff on E-Bay, and now I can't stop, it's so much fun.

Cap said...

do a advance search on ebay for "completed auctions" on Nextel i736 and you can see that they fetch for a bit more, depending on how well you word your auction title etc.

Some ended for around $140 plus S&H.

If you can net the same amount, you'll most likely get about $125 ish after all the fees from ebay, paypal and S&H

good luck with the ebay sale, definitely research. use the "completed auction" feature to search for prices and best way to list the item.

stevie.be. said...

yes for you! way to work the system and win something!! woohoo

spreadsheet: RIP

Roximoon said...

Hey honie I feel for you.. A free cell phone .. nice stuff.. so.. tell me more about these sweepstakes things.. ;)

Shirazi said...

Congrats!

drizzlenightsky said...

Lucky you...I'd kill for a dollar and an oversized t-shirt...the only things I have ever won are surf credits from BE and never more than 10, too...bummer...