Sunday, April 13, 2008

Debt Mind Trap #4: You think spending money will improve your life.

If only I had…

…a more professional wardrobe, I would be taken more seriously at work.

…new workout clothes, I would go to the gym.

…a faster computer, I could get started with that new project.

…this storage unit, I would never lose things.

…an expensive new haircut, I would feel more confident.

…an exotic vacation, I would feel relaxed.


This list could go on and on with things that we think we could buy to improve our lives. Some of these things might accomplish their intended goal, but most likely, you could’ve accomplished the goal without spending the money. New gym clothes might motivate you to go to the gym, but you very well could’ve gone to the gym without them.

What is more likely to happen though, is that buying these things only serve as a quick-fix to a bigger problem. The new gym clothes might get you to the gym one or two times, but once they are not so new, the appeal is gone and you’re not going to the gym anymore. The new haircut might make you feel good for a while, but once everyone has gushed over how great it looks, you’re back to feeling the same way you did before you got the haircut. The exotic vacation might give you a temporary energy boost, but after a few weeks, you’re feeling stressed and worn out again.

Spending money on things is only a superficial solution. If you really want to make changes in your life, look to the root of the problem, and start there. Most likely, you won’t have to swipe your credit card to solve the problem.

add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have no idea what perfect timing you have.

You are so spot on about this. That is exactly how I rationalize most of the things I buy.

Man....you read my mind.

Katie Gregg said...

Oh my, I have used all these excuses at one time or another. I'm getting better at being honest with myself, and trying to tackle the REAL problems at hand. It's an ongoing journey!