Saturday, April 05, 2008

This and That

Today is Day #33 of the "Buy Nothing (New) Challenge" and I have to say that I haven't struggled much at all. The one thing that I've been itching to buy is potting soil. I know it sounds silly...33 days and the one thing I want to buy is dirt, BUT, it is springtime and the dirt in my backyard is just not cutting it for my seedlings. I attempted to grow some seedlings using an egg carton and some compost but unfortunately, I think the compost was too thick for the little seeds to flourish. I may try to re-pot some of my existing plants to get some of the soil out from them or just try the regular ol' dirt and see what happens.

I'm off to another buy-nothing weekend. I'm taking a friend out for her birthday tonight; I figure I'll buy her a drink or two in place of a gift. Have a happy weekend everyone!

Here's a roundup of my favorite stuff from the web this week:


Who knew coffee grounds were so useful?

Mmmm, yum! These look like they'd be mighty tasty, and if you wrapped them up right might make a good home-made present.

This might not be very useful in California since it hardly ever rains here, but here's an idea: Collect rain water in a barrel to use in your garden and reduce your water bill.

Cellfire sends coupons to your cell phone so you'll never leave a coupon at home.

American Express is giving away four free movie or museum tickets if you make a purchase at one of their sponsored retailers. Not a bad deal if you have a Del Taco near you! I figured you could buy 3, 29 cent tacos and you'd end up with the four movie/museum tickets for only 90 cents! Too bad I don't have an AMEX card...grrr.

Free 2 Be Frugal has posted a few Earth Day deals. Walmart is giving away re-usable shopping bags and so is Macy's.

Here's a cool idea (snickers at the unintended pun): a refrigerator that uses no electricity!

Being Frugal
has posted a huge compilation of tips (168 to be exact) on how to stretch a dollar.

Think Your Way to Wealth has a very funny post on "Ways to Aggravate Your Spouse With Your Frugality." I particularly like #7 and #5.

add to del.icio.us saved by 0 users

2 comments:

Tim said...

Thanks for the link about the coffee grounds! It had some great info, I never knew there were so many uses for the spent grounds!

Tim
TheMoneyKings.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention! And I love the idea of a buy nothing new challenge!